Program Announcement: XR for Change Fellowships
Games for Change (G4C) seeks two Fellows to participate in our XR for Change initiative and gain essential knowledge and experience to position them for careers in the immersive media, technology, and social impact sector. (XR stands for “extended realities” and spans the rapidly growing field of immersive technology including virtual, augmented, and mixed reality).
The XR for Change program is a year-round initiative that brings together XR developers, media makers, storytellers, researchers, technology companies and users to create and share experiences that can improve people’s lives and further positive social change.
Fellows will become part of the G4C team and be mentored and have unique work experience while engaging in research, writing, curation, and event production over the course of six months, and participate in generating a white paper study of the state of XR and social impact to guide future investment in the field. Each Fellow will receive a monthly stipend and is expected to make a commitment of 25-30 hours per week.
- Undergraduate degree or higher in a related field (computer science, videogame/XR development,), or equivalent professional experience
- Comfort working with and setting up XR hardware, including HMDs such as HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Microsoft Hololens, and Magic Leap One
- Broad understanding of XR industry and it’s growing impact across various sectors, including non-profit, educational, medical, art, and civic institutions
- Demonstrated ability to carry out and manage development research activities across various sectors
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English across a range of communication formats (program reports, research briefs, white papers)
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Proactive ability to work independently
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Weekly commitment of 25 – 30 hours/week.
- Position based in G4C’s WeWork offices in Midtown East, New York.
- Application Deadline: March 15, 2019
To apply, please send an email with the subject line “XR For Change Fellowship” to Marissa Harts, Operations Manager ([email protected]). Please send your resume as an attachment and include the following in a cover letter:
- Overview of your interest and experience with XR technology, research and writing. Please also include your interest in video games and/or non-profit organizations.
- Details on any prior work-related experience.
- Availability – (Hours per week/Days)
- Location/where you are commuting from.
About Games for Change
Games for Change (G4C) is a national nonprofit that advances the creation and use of games for social impact and learning. G4C incubates game projects, engages the public through events; connects to educators and students through game design challenges, professional development, and workshops; and supports a diverse community of practice. G4C works with funders, educators and youth, content specialists, learning experts, and creative teams to create and distribute successful impact games. Games for Change is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on age, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability.